Who can attend our camps?

Our camps are open to any and all participants that want to attend. We have age recommendations on our Training Camp, and certainly can give you recommendations on the other camps if you want. However all camps are open to all ages and all abilities.

If you require specific needs please contact Moriah Marinelli at 319-335-9400 or moriah-stickley@uiowa.edu so we can begin the process of making sure we can fulfill your needs to attend camp.

Do you offer scholarships?

The UI Athletics Department does not sponsor any scholarships for camp or clinic attendees. The University offers the E.B. Green Scholarship for attendance at any University-sponsored youth program. The following website has information listed under E.B. Green Scholarships. www.diversity.uiowa.edu/awards.

How do I get documentation to claim camp fees on my taxes?

If you are eligible to deduct camp fees for TAX purposes, use TAX ID#426004813.

Do you have to live in Iowa to attend camp as a resident?

No, resident refers to your status while you are attending camp, not your home address.

What is the difference between a resident and commuter?

A resident sleeps in the dorms with us at night and a commuter leaves after the final session each day to sleep off campus with family or friends. Commuters also have two meals a day included in the camp fee.

What if I can't get a medical release or school physical?

A medical release MUST be signed by a doctor OR a copy of your school sports physical performed within one year of the camp date to attend any of our camps. If you come to camp without a medical release, you can contact a doctor and have them fax a copy or go to a local UI QUICK CARE and have a sports physical performed. There are NO EXCEPTIONS. If you choose to have a doctor fax us a copy, your child will be unable to participate in any sessions until this medical release is received by the Athletic Trainer.

When is my medical release due?

When you apply online, you will be required to provide your insurance information; the medical release may be mailed later. However, it is best to send your completed medical release before you check in the first day of camp, and you can do this via fax, scan and email or US mail. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, AS YOUR CHILD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE UNTIL THE MEDICAL RELEASE OR A COPY OF THEIR SCHOOL PHYSICAL IS RECEIVED.

Do you offer a shuttle service from the airport?

We do offer a shuttle service to and from Eastern Iowa Airport, in Cedar Rapids. You can add the shuttle service during registration. The shuttle fee of $48 includes transport to and from camp. Flights should be booked to arrive before 1pm on the start date of camp, and depart after 1pm on the end date of camp. Contact Bobby Telford with any questions.

What airport should I use?

The Eastern Iowa Airport (CID), located in Cedar Rapids, IA is approximately 25 miles north of the University of Iowa campus.

Are the dorm rooms air conditioned?

The dorm rooms are air conditioned, but you might want to bring a small fan, as it could be extremely hot during your camp.

What is provided in the dorm rooms?

Two lofted beds, two desks, two chairs, a dresser and a sink. there are also two sheets and a light blanket for each person in the room. We would recommend bringing a pillow and another blanket just in case. The showers and bathroom are down the hall and you should bring appropriate clothes and shoes to go back and forth. You are responsible for your own towel.

Are there pay phones available?

No, if you don’t bring a cell phone and need to make an “emergency” phone call, contact your counselor or coach. There is also a 24-hour attendant at the Hillcrest front desk.

What are the shower facilities like?

The showers and bathroom are down the hall and you should bring appropriate clothes and shoes to go back and forth. The men’s and women’s showers have individual stalls in the dorms. You are responsible for your own towel.

How many campers stay in a room?

Two campers per room, we are only provided double rooms by Housing. If the group attending is an odd number, you could request being “next” to a person. You can spend all of your waking time with friends, and won’t have to go to your room until lights out.

How are dorm roommates assigned?

When you fill out your online registration, there is a place to request a roommate. If two campers request each other and the applications are submitted more than two weeks before the camp start date, it will happen. If the roommate request is left blank, we will assign a roommate attending the same camp and near the same age. If you request a roommate late, we will do our best to accommodate but cannot guarantee it will happen.

Can I do laundry while I'm at camp?

Laundry facilities are available in your dorm. Campers can purchase laundry cards ($1.25 per load to wash and $1.25 to dry) at the Hillcrest Front Desk. The Hillcrest Front Desk does not keep change, so please bring small bills ($1 or $5) to purchase your laundry cards. You will need to bring laundry detergent with you; it is not sold in the dorm.

What if I need money while at camp?

There is an ATM machine in the Hillcrest Lounge area, near the vending machines.

Can I visit my child while they are attending camp?

You are welcome to come and watch any session your child is attending. If you need to remove your child for any reason, make sure that Bobby Telford (bobby-telford@hawkeyesports.com) is notified before taking your child for any reason.

Can I join my child for a meal?

Yes, you are more than welcome to visit your child during their stay at camp and dine with them. If you choose to eat in the Hillcrest dining facilities, the fee is $8.50 fee for breakfast and $10 for lunch / dinner. You are also allowed to take them off campus; please make sure to check them out with their counselors.

How do I contact my child in case of emergency?

In case of emergency, contact the Hillcrest 24 hour desk at 319-335-9168. Since your child is at a wrestling camp there is a good chance he might be at a session... If it is during the day please email Bobby Telford (bobby-telford@hawkeyesports.com) Bobby is the Director of the camps and if for any reason night or day you need assistance with anything don't hesitate to email.

What roles do counselors have?

Counselors act as a guardian while your child attends camp, as they are around them 24/7. They sleep in the dorm on the same floor as the campers and don’t go to bed until all campers are in their rooms and accounted for. They wake campers in the morning to make sure they have time to eat breakfast and get to their first session on time. Counselors are in the dining area while campers are dining, and present while campers are in session. If you have questions or concerns start with your counselor, they have been trained to proceed with assistance.

Who is responsible if my child is injured or needs medical attention while at camp?

If your child is injured during camp, they will be taken to our Athletic Trainer immediately, and the Athletic Trainer will determine what action is required. If necessary, the Athletic Trainer will contact the parent/guardian and discuss care options. We can take the camper to UI Sports Medicine or the UI Emergency Department. Cost for treatment of injuries and/or hospitalization is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. We will have your insurance information from your online registration.

Who do I talk to if my child needs to take medication while they are attending camp?

When you go through the check-in process, make certain that you stop at the Athletic Trainers table and discuss your child’s medication.

What meals are included in a commuter's fee?

The commuter fee includes lunch and dinner. You can eat breakfast with the residents at your expense and the cost approximately $8.00.

Are there refunds on deposits?

There are no refunds on deposits. A small deposit is required at the time of registration.